Raspberry PI

Discussion in 'KODI enabled device' started by Linlin, Feb 18, 2016.

1. Linlin

Linlin Administrator Staff Member

What is Raspberry PI? Well in my opinion it is Linux enabled computer that runs a few DISTROs mostly based on DEBIAN. There are several Raspberry PI devices. Why do I mention this small credit card size PC? Well comes with KODI enabled IPTV system. You can see the wiki about those very well supported hardware for geeks but for end users too.

I have personal experience with Raspberry PI 2, that runs very smoothly, fast and reliable. There are choice of KODI enabled systems there - my favorite one is OSMC.TV but OPENELEC is good as well.

The goal is the Raspberry PI 2 device (RPI 2) is very cheap and very well supported. The fact about IPTV boxes is that Android boxes can run KODI too, but the support is almost none speaking of genuine Chinese boxes and the other supported Android boxes are too expensive.

Recently I have ordered Raspberry PI (the slower version) to test the OSMC image. The reason was simple, there is Raspberry PI ZERO on the market for the very low cost (such as 5 USD only) and it is fully compatible with this older RPI device, what more it has faster CPU. The results are not so stunning as for RPI 2 but is is still much better than any E2 IPTV try. Even KODI running latest Enigma 2 images such as VU + SOLO 4K is buggy and unstable means worse than RPI ZERO. Investing 5 USD buying RPI ZERO is my hint for now. You will need SD card class 10 at least 8GB and some 5V power supply (Android Charger can be used too ;-)). I plan to make one ready image with sources installed for beginners. Seems pretty much as KODI starter.

2. keymaster

keymaster Admin Staff Member

Hi
    I have a RPi 2 Linlin - but no Kodi on it - sorry i am Plex lifetime pass holder and I love Plex
    Key

3. Linlin

4. keymaster

Raspberry Pi 3 released today!

5. Storm_Breaker

Storm_Breaker Moderator

just bought pi2 last week :(

6. keymaster

Hi storm m8
    I bought my pi 2 a few weeks back ....not used it yet though.
    Key

7. Storm_Breaker

Storm_Breaker Moderator

any way bought pi3 yesterday :D

+1 for Kodi .I try to use Plex on my NAs and TV samsung ,but its crap ,dont get it personal Key ;)

8. keymaster

Hi Storm m8,
    Great to see you, Plex rocks if you know how - also I bought lifetime pass back in the day when they were really cheap, message me on skype or PM and I tell you what I do, thinking of a VIP Plex channel for forum.
    Key

9. Linlin

:) Any experience with RPI3 ?

10. keymaster

Last edited: Mar 9, 2016
  11. Linlin

Anything you can compare with previous hardware performance. It could be plex client, why not.

keymaster likes this.
  12. keymaster

Hi
    I will be adding as a plex client I believe, but my much more expensive Roku and Amazon tv will be hard to replace with my RPi3 (although much cheaper).
    I know you are not big Plex fan but I bought lifetime Plex pass back at the start when they were very cheap and the support is fantastic. Using your own server and also Plex IPTV is ideal for me, I have not used my AX quad HD2400 sat box for more than 3 months lol.
    Key